my favorite thing is when someone’s in the shower and you suddenly hear a distant BANG BANG BANG CRASH and you can tell they just knocked over like all of the shampoo bottles
Sixteen-year-old Elif Bilgin of Turkey has developed a way to replace traditional petroleum-based plastic with banana peels.
The Turkish teen took home a US$50,000 prize for her project “Go Bananas!” Thursday after winning the second annual Scientific American Science in Action Award, associated with Google Science Fair.
“My project makes it possible to use banana peels, a waste material which is thrown away almost every day, in the electrical insulation of cables,” Bilgin said in a media statement.
“This is both an extremely nature-friendly and cheap process, which has the potential to decrease the amount of pollution created due to the use of plastics, which contain petroleum derivatives.”
Bilgin spent two years developing the bio-plastic, which does not decay. She said the process is so easy that it is possible to repeat at home, with special care taken for chemicals used in the production process.
In September, the teen will compete at Google’s California headquarters for the overall Google Science Fair prize for 15-to-16 year olds. She will also have access to a one-year mentorship.
Has anyone else noticed how many brilliant breakthroughs in science are coming from the minds of teenage girls the last few years? Between this story, the four girls in Nigeria who invented a generator that runs on urine, the California girl who invented a twenty-second cell phone charger… Who knows where we’d be today without the patriarchal interference of men, stealing or hiding the brilliance of women?
Our future is in the hands of teenage girls, and I for one feel really good about that.
When I was about 7 I wanted to invent a thing that purified water based off of fish gills. I went to the school library to do research like a good little inventor and one of my teachers asked me what I was doing, and then told me that there were some new barbie books in, and that I’d probably be better off with those.
Don’t forget the girl who invented a torch that’d light up just from the heat of your hands
basically everyone should stop s***ting on teenage girls because they do awesome things when you let them
But nah, girls and women just suck at math and science and have never invented anything worthwhile. Sure. Right.
- We Are Living An American Horror Story: Open letter from Ferguson protesters and allies (Oct. 17)
- Why Darren Wilson hasn’t been charged for killing Mike Brown
- Vonderrit Myers’ family responds to police version of fatal shooting
- Reports of an ATF officer involved shooting at Park Ridge Apartments in Ferguson (storify) (1) (2)
- Genocide - Darius Simpson
- 2014 homicide map of STL area
- Jesse Williams blasts police over “plantation vibe” at Ferguson October
- The only “outside agitators” left in Ferguson are the white cops who don’t live here
- Girls to the front — Women on the front lines of the struggle in Ferguson
- Deadline to apply for Ferguson task force extended
- Retired STL police officer arrested on child porn allegations
- Boston police officer did not want to be filmed: Assaults man, breaks his camera & wipes bloody elbow on him
- Ferguson-related documentary banned by STL theater
- Michael Dunn sentenced to life in prison for murder of Jordan Davis. Tearful, gut-wrenching statements from Jordan’s parents
- Officer involved in killing of Dontre Hamilton (who was unarmed and sleeping) is fired (has yet to be arrested)